Pregnancy is a normal physiological condition during which a baby is growing inside the mother's womb. There are different hormonal changes causing taste changes, food cravings and associated nausea, vomiting or gastrointestinal issues. During pregnancy the nutritional requirements are increased to meet the demands of the body for proper growth and development of the baby.
Positive nutritional support during pregnancy leads to a good outcome for both mother and baby.
Eating a balanced diet is very important and never think of starving yourself to avoid weight gain during pregnancy.
A basic guideline is given is given below:
- Consume a diet containing vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
- Take Vitamin supplements as prescribed by your doctor.
- Vitamin A containing supplement should be avoided especially during the first 3 months.
- Drink 1-2 cups of fresh milk daily. If you like drinking flavored milk you can enjoy adding your preferred flavors.
- Avoid caffeine containing drinks.
- Soak 7-9 almonds overnight and eat them with 3 dates in morning.
- Take a cup of yogurt with bread or parahata (Asian bread )
- Eggs are safe and good source of protein. Take in any form you like boiled, omellete etc.
- Oatmeal is healthy and helps with preventing constipation.
- Morning sickness is common during the first 3 months, to prevent vomiting don't stay with an empty stomach, take some crackers or wheat biscuits' when you wake up in the morning.
- Avoid taking too much liquid during mealtimes.
- Avoid foods with strong odors.
- Drink coconut water or lemon drink whenever easily available.
- Eat proper meals containing meat, vegetables or lentils . Take small frequent meals if you face any digestive issues.
- Totally avoid soft drinks.
- No alcohol and No smoking.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Avoid spicy and oily foods.
- Diet needs to be modified if you suffer from any other medical condition or gestational diabetes.
Have a safe and heathy pregnancy.